California Reopens Path to Justice for Adult Survivors of Sexual Assault With Passage of AB 250
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
California Reopens Path to Justice for Adult Survivors of Sexual Assault With Passage of AB 250
[Los Angeles, California |January, 2026] – California has enacted a major expansion of survivors’ rights with the passage of Assembly Bill 250 (AB 250), a landmark law that reopens the courthouse doors for adult survivors of sexual assault whose civil claims were previously barred by expired statutes of limitation.
AB 250 establishes a new two-year “revival window,” allowing eligible survivors to file lawsuits between January 1, 2026, and December 31, 2027, even if the assault occurred decades ago and the original legal deadline has long since passed. The law applies to cases involving private institutions and individual perpetrators where a cover-up of sexual assault or prior allegations is alleged.
Justice Law Collaborative, a nationally recognized, women-led plaintiffs’ firm, welcomed the bill’s passage, calling it a critical step toward accountability for survivors who were previously shut out of the legal system.
“AB 250 is a powerful affirmation of California’s commitment to survivors,” said Karen Barth Menzies, a Los Angeles-based partner at Justice Law Collaborative who has represented survivors in high-profile revival statute cases. “This law is clearer, broader, and gives survivors the time and certainty they need to seek justice, especially when powerful institutions played a role in concealing abuse.”
What AB 250 Does
Under AB 250, adult survivors who were 18 years or older at the time of the assault may bring civil claims that would otherwise be time-barred, provided that:
One or more private entities or individuals are legally responsible for damages arising from the assault, and
An entity or its representatives engaged in a cover-up or attempted cover-up of prior sexual assault allegations involving the same perpetrator.
In a significant clarification, the law also revives claims directly against individual perpetrators, even if a cover-up cannot be established as to every defendant. Each defendant is treated independently, meaning the failure to allege a cover-up against one entity does not prevent claims from proceeding against others, including the perpetrator.
Public entities, including state and local government agencies, are expressly excluded from AB 250’s revival provisions. The law also clarifies that public entities are not required to indemnify individual perpetrators of sexual assault.
Addressing Gaps in Prior Revival Laws
AB 250 follows earlier California revival statutes that briefly reopened filing windows but proved difficult to navigate in practice. Many survivors and attorneys cited uncertainty, high litigation costs, and inconsistent interpretations as barriers to pursuing claims.
In a recent Rolling Stone article examining revival statute litigation involving high-profile defendants, Barth Menzies explained that earlier revival laws created significant uncertainty about who qualified and whether the Legislature intended the window to apply fully retroactively. That confusion, particularly around institutional liability and the scope of eligible claims, discouraged some survivors and attorneys from moving forward. She noted that AB 250 removes that ambiguity and provides a longer filing period, giving survivors greater clarity and a meaningful opportunity to seek representation and pursue justice.
A Renewed Opportunity for Survivors
Supporters of AB 250 say the law reflects a growing recognition that sexual assault survivors often need years to process trauma, uncover institutional wrongdoing, and feel safe coming forward, particularly when the alleged abuse involves powerful organizations or public figures.
“This law acknowledges the realities survivors face,” Barth Menzies said. “It restores choice, agency, and accountability where those things were previously denied.”
Justice Law Collaborative encourages survivors and advocates to seek legal guidance well in advance of the January 1, 2026, filing window to assess eligibility and preserve potential claims.
-30-
(310) 363-0030